Settlements and Sites of the Four City-States #69
Mar 10th 2023
Name: Heliostat Citadel
Location: A great circular valley on the western slopes of the UIu Maug
Population (approx.): About 1,000 at most
Brief: In the heyday of Ta’arna, the Church of Light built a great tower on the western slopes of the central hills. The surrounding land was cleared, flattened and covered with reflective surfaces (smoothed stones, metal sheets and even large mirrors on mechanisms) of all shapes and sizes. Each piece was carefully crafted by the Light’s enchanters and alchemists to focus all manner of light toward the top of the Citadel, forming the Heliostat. The light was divided by prisms and reflected by mirrors into various chambers of the Citadel for both ceremonies, study and crafting. As T’arna declined, so did the Church. The Citadel came under numerous attacks by forces of the other Churches and corrupted fiends, the damage to the mirror array and the tower itself was substantial. The faithful and staff of the Church fled with few to return.
Geography: The Heliostat Citadel sits on a basalt base in the center of a bowl-shaped depression about 1000 feet radius. The tower itself, of white stone with numerous windows and openings, rises almost 300 feet to the skies and may have been taller in its heyday. The surrounding hills were covered with a once bustling town just outside a circular curtain wall. A high percentage of the buildings are now ruined, with a small village on the north edge of the site being home to the only inhabitants.
Post a Comment