Settlements and Sites of the Four City-States #89
Mar 30th, 2023
Name: Bloodview Fortress
Location: Western slopes of the Ulu Maug overlooking the Bloodsoaked Valley
Population (approx.): 200 (support staff) and up to 1000 warriors at any time. Each border fort garrison is about 100-300 warriors and non-combatants.
Brief: The united tribes of Taodeas chose their southern border wisely, using the two rivers, Matui and Danthas, to define a defensive line, augmented by the hills of Lanu and Ulu Maug. One natural pass remained to channel forces and creatures out of the Wastelands toward the north. Now secured, the subsequently named Bloodsoaked Pass (#18), is defended by the Border Wardens of the UTF headquartered at Bloodview Fortress. The troops at the keep regularly patrol the pass, garrison a string of border forts and scout the plains to the south for any signs of returning enemies or monstrosities.
Geography: The Bloodview Fortress was built on a mesa on the western edge of the Ulu Maug overlooking the Bloodsoaked Valley below. It features nigh impenetrable walls built of great blocks of ebony stone (the same as those at Blackstone Fortress (#15)) supplied and installed by the Dwarves of Clan Ironback (#50). Behind the walls, spotters in a half-dozen watch towers train fire from dozens of siege engines against any foes foolish enough to traverse the valley below. The keep features numerous warehouses, barracks and workshops. Underground storage, cisterns and wells enable the Border Wardens to endure a lengthy siege until they are relieved by UTF troops from Blackstone and points north.